Monday, May 18, 2015

Homeschooling and Essential Oil Use Part 2

In my last post, I said, "stay tuned for my next post regarding what my family uses to help with our homeschooling day."

What oils do I use for my family?  

Homeschooling oils 

For independent work:  Lemon, Citrus, Grapefruit, etc.  These oils have an energizing feel to them.  I feel like doing more work, have more energy, and can think faster when these are diffusing in my house.

For together time or co-op activities:  Vetiver or Serenity if I need my kids to focus on the teacher (me or a co-op mom), we are doing hands - on activities or any time excitability may be an issue.  These oils seem to create a calm focus for my children, especially ones with ADHD.  The first time I used Vetiver was when a prescription had lapsed and the pharmacy had issues with staffing a pharmacist.  It happened to be opening day of baseball/softball.  My ADHD child was spot on, down and ready, and acted 'normal' when I asked how she did at the opening ceremony. [I could not spot her among all the girls in red.].  Serenity smells amazing (quite the opposite of Vetiver); and contains lavender among other oils that reduce mind - racing, perhaps.  It is also used at night to sleep.  I diffuse Serenity, but use Vetiver neat (one drop on the spine).

For sleep issues with my kids, I've used multiple blends, but I usually use lavender.  I will give my girls a bandanna that has a few drops of lavender or Serenity on it.  The girls wear it or place it on their pillow.  I've also made lavender pillow spray which is simply water (distilled) with 10 drops of lavender in a glass spray bottle.  I spray my own pillow each night as well as the bassinet for the baby to get a fresh scent and lull her to sleep.

Other oils that I use during the school day and with my ADHD child are as follows:

For focus-  InTune, vetiver, lavender
For alertness- peppermint, lemon, basil, rosemary (neat or diffused or both)
For calming- SerenityBalance

There are many essential oil companies and blends available to the world.  I choose doTerra because it has the pre-made blends that have been most beneficial to me and my family's issues.  My doTerra website has videos and more information.  Kristen Adkins' doTERRA site.

I honestly do not know what I would do without my essential oils.  I wonder why these little miracles are just now surfacing? I use them for practically every health issue my family encounters - headaches (yes, migraines), indigestion, sinus' issues, scrapes, cuts, muscle tension, weight loss/appetite issues, etc.  I even clean and disinfect with them (lemon, melaleuca, OnGuard, citrus)

For what do you use essential oils?  


No comments:

Post a Comment