Sunday, September 27, 2015

Co-op Devotion # 2 on Rivalry: Moms Comparing Moms

Our coop has been a huge success!!!  I'm thankful to everyone who has participated, from praying to keeping the nursery, you are appreciated.

With our coop starting on week two, I decided to continue the devotions in the morning for our moms  - a kind of class for them before they go about their duties.  I am sure the Lord led me to this devotion on "Rivalry" regarding Mary and Martha.  If you have gone to church for two Sundays in a row, these two ladies have been mentioned, I'm sure.

As moms, I can sometimes see the comparative spirit that rises up either when someone else has a fantastic idea or when a mom shares what her child has accomplished.  There is NOTHING wrong with sharing!  It is the spirit in which we share these things that may hinder others.  Moms are proud of their children, no doubt....however, by boasting about our children, we may cause other moms to feel inferior or that they are doing less.  In our coop, I shared that we are a support group first and foremost.  We should build one another up, edify, encourage and love one another - that includes each others children.

My comments are in other colors from the original writing.

Rivalry
Sweet milk turns sour from being too warm too long.
Sweet dispositions turn sour for the same reason. Let aggravation stew without a period of cooling down, and the result ? A bad, bitter, clabberish attitude.
It’s the story of Martha. A dear soul given to hospitality and organization. More frugal than frivolous, more practical than pensive. Ask her to choose between a book and a broom, and she’ll take the broom.  WHAT?  Who could choose a broom over a book???  Unbelievable to me.  Just kidding - it takes all different types of schools to make homeschooling, in general, successful.  My 'school' doesn't look like yours.  I may have a very structured day with bathroom breaks allotted and lists of lists to accomplish each hour.  You may say, "Hey kids, pile up on the couch and let's read this magazine article.  We're going out to Chick-Fil-A later so you can play while I meet with a friend.  Bring a book for the drive."   Which one is better?  It depends on the day of the week, the child, the mom, the curriculum, the book, and a million more factors?  In fact, I can't judge which is better, because I do not know your child, your style of learning or teaching, or the tasks which you need to accomplish.  Some moms work from home; some moms have vibrant ministries to attend to as well as home school.
Mary, however, will take the book. Mary is Martha’s sister. Same parents, different priorities. Martha has things to do. Mary has thoughts to think. This goes to prove that each child is different and has different priorities to attend to - this makes the entire world of homeschooling go round.
Apparently Martha worried too much, too. So much so that she started bossing God around. Worry will do that to you. It makes you forget who’s in charge.  Don't worry about what others are doing.  Focus on the priorities that God has directed YOU to accomplish.  Let Him guide your homeschool.
What makes this case interesting, however, is that Martha is worried about something good. She’s having Jesus over for dinner. Her aim was to please Jesus. But, as she began to work for him her work became more important than her Lord. What began as a way to serve Jesus, slowly and subtly became a way to serve self.
One look at the flour-covered scowl will tell you that. “That Mary. Here I am alone in the kitchen while she’s out there."  Confession is good for the soul.  I confess that I have had this attitude with my family when I'm busy working and they are all spending time together having fun.  HOW COULD THEY?  Don't they love me?  Don't they want me to join them?  Why won't they help me and then I can join in all the fun?  Nevermind... I don't wanna be there with them; I'll never get ALL MY WORK done....  ---Have you had similar thoughts?  I could easily say this same thing about my coop work.  All the planning and scheduling and replanning and rescheduling and reworking and planning for what?  No one appreciates it.  THIS IS A LIE of the devil that he wants you to believe so you will be frustrated, think everyone is ungrateful and you will quit the calling that you are called to accomplish.  Don't believe the lies.  Keep serving others joyfully.
Oh boy. She’s miffed. Look at her glaring over her shoulder through the doorway. That’s Mary she’s staring at. The one seated on the floor, listening to Jesus. “ Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me alone to do all the work? Tell her to help me" ( Luke 10:40 ).  Others can see the frustration on your face; it is not becoming.  Joyfully serve.  Don't order others around but help them find their calling and build them up to do the job they are called to accomplish for the kingdom.  AND we have much to accomplish for the kingdom.  We are rearing a new generation for the LORD's army.  Do not take this lightly.  Spend time at the feet of Jesus and then get the broom out to work.
It’s easy to forget who is the servant and who is to be served.  Help us never to have an attitude that God needs to tell OTHERS what to do.  We need to be focused on our calling, our journey, our purpose.
Satan knows that. This tool of distortion is one of Satan’s slyest. Note : He didn’t take Martha out of the kitchen; he took away her purpose in the kitchen. He won’t take you away from your ministry; He’ll disillusion you in your ministry.
Guard your attitude.  This can be one of the most difficult things when we are surrounded by many other women.  Yes, I said that.  Women tend to be catty.  That is our flesh.  We need not be defensive, questioning others' motives, or judging.  We don't need to compare ourselves to other moms.  There should be no mommy wars - especially in the body of Christ.  We are supposed to be much more mature than that.
What matters more than the type of service is the heart behind the service. A bad attitude spoils the gift we leave on the altar for God.
God has gifted you with talents. He has done the same to your neighbor. If you concern yourself with your neighbor’s talents, you will neglect yours. But if you concern yourself with yours, you could inspire both.  Dear Mom, please don't think you are doing a sub-par job on your homeschooling! Don't compare your school room with mine. Don't compare your school lunch with Martha's.  Know that when you and Jesus meet in the mornings, He will direct you to the curriculum, schedule, support group, and comrades that you will need to feel successful.  AND, you then can inspire other moms who may be new or feeling sub-par.

I'm getting my devotions from Max Lucado's The Devotional Bible which I've had for years and always turns out to be a blessing when I need a few verses and some kick to put those verses into practice.


No comments:

Post a Comment