Saturday, April 23, 2016

Delight-directed learning for High School

I haven't posted for a while, but I'm getting prepared for the new school year and had a great idea!  I wanted to share it with you since we did a trial run of it this semester.

Why not put all the free learning sights into one place for myself when I'm trying to find free classes for my children.  No, they don't get the college credit; however, I want them to have classes at a certain 'level' without paying for these.  Two of my girls will be in 8th grade. We did a trial run with it recently and my girls took classes they have an interest in....

I'm planning on starting this year assigning credit to them for high school.  This is the perfect way to do it without spending a dime.

1.  Ask your child what he wants to be or what field most interests him.
2.  Search for a few courses (see below) that are basic enough to let him learn the basics of the field or area of study.
3.  Sign up for and let them take one or two of these courses.  The child should be involved with choosing the course.
4.  Participate with your child in the class by asking what he is learning, what are the assignments, or watch a lecture with him.
5.  Print the certificate or create your own to show completion.
6.  Do further research on the same topic as the class and formulate a presentation if no tests were given in the class.  Like plan field trips or other learning on the same topic.  See below for pics of our recent field trips and learning activities.
7.  Start the process again.

Where should you begin looking for these type of classes / courses?  I've created a listing of these classes on Blendspace.  Start here. Free Learning Sites for High School via Blendspace.













No comments:

Post a Comment