Monday, April 10, 2017

Classical Education from a new perspective: Conversation One on Classical Conversations Revisited

For those who may not know, I did a review of Classical Conversations a few years ago and did not give it a rave review.  I had heard of these Campuses getting new leadership in our area, so I wanted to review this educational tool again.  Joy Browning, a friend of a friend, invited me via Facebook to observe the Beckley Campus, where she serves as director.  Here is the first post in a series....  

Convo Number 1:  Introduction, Foundations, Essentials

I arrived at 9:15 am.  These smiling faces were prompt, as they had begun the Pledge of Allegiance to the American Flag, Pledge to the Christian Flag, and Pledge to the Holy Bible as I walked into the huge foyer of CrossPoint Church.  I stopped to be respectful of the pledges and then found a place in the back as I awaited the next activity.  Little did I know, the next activity was the introduction of visitors, of whom I was first.  Joy Browning, a petite, young, well-dressed lady invited me to the front of the circle of about 60 moms, children, dads, and teens.  Joy introduced me to the group and mentioned that I could do end - of - year - portfolios for them; I was there to observe today to see what Classical Conversations was all about under the new leadership.  She also introduced Angela Single, another mom who was interested in the Beckley Campus of Classical Conversations.  She had recently moved into the area from a nearby town.

Next was announcements and introduction of the Miller family, who sang two glorious songs where my eyes filled with tears regarding the genuine feel for the praise.  One daughter sang along with the father, who played guitar, while a teen boy boomed the drum on which he sat. 





The older students were dismissed with their tutors (these parents are not called teachers, but tutor fits their position well).   I watched as the younger students were given seating arrangements in the foyer that resembled the orchestra.  The teachers held posters for the students, who sang in rounds, the 'song of the orchestra'.  The special seating was to show the students the specified arrangement of the orchestra in a symphony. This activity fulfilled their weekly goal for fine arts learning the orchestra and composers Brahms and Dvorak.  Students would learn more about these men in their classes in an age-appropriate fashion.     








We were then dismissed to the classrooms.  I followed Stephanie Plumley to “Abecedarian” class.  These were students who were 3-6 years old.  My two younger children went along.  The Foundations ABC group is for 3-6 year-olds, Apprentice classes, for 6-7 years olds.  There are potentially two Apprentice classes if needed.  This makes placing your child where they are, educationally efficient.  There is no pressure at these young ages to perform.  They are all there to have fun, learn chants, songs, American Sign Language, and to play with one another.  Mrs. Plumley used sign language to show the students a timeline song, which is the same each year.  These students hear the timeline song each year and build on it week-by-week.  My day’s part of the song added, “In 1990, President Bush sent troops to the Persian Gulf to expel Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein from Kuwait during the Gulf War.”  I learned, though Joy and Stephanie as well as Angela Single, that there are options for each smaller child.  Some are mature enough to move up at six and some may remain in the current class for another year.  It is up to the parent to decide.






I then proceeded to Apprentice I where these students, mostly boys, were pretending to be the teacher, playing a game of ‘guess the noun’ (that is my name for it anyway) where they utilize adjectives to guess an object; this was a very engaging activity.  There were a few boys wiggling, one looking down, and most were very engaged. The students had just completed a map coloring sheet prior to my entrance; some were still working on that.  The classroom management was efficient, yet seemed non-existent.  Children knowing that parents are on-site would keep discipline problems to a minimum.  The tutors do not discipline any child; however, they will send a room parent to get the disruptive child's parent if needed. There is a ‘meet the child where they are’ mentality no pressure to perform at a certain level.








I went to a Masters class with Miranda Guzman and later an Essentials class with Amanda Schmidt.  These older students had opportunities for public speaking, playing games, and summarizing a story.  They were assigned homework in the class that I observed and not a minute was wasted!!!  They utilize IEW with Andrew Pudewa.  More on the Essentials group with my next post…..











2 comments:

  1. I am curious as to why you gave Classical Conversations a bad review a few years ago. It is the same exact curriculum as it was previously. The curriculum has not changed. Why do you like it now as opposed to before?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My decision was to re-review the program after various leadership changed; positions were changed. Some marketing procedures changed; the new director is just as sweet as pie and presents CC in a way that is warming and inviting. I did appreciate the atmosphere here and the comments from directors and tutors that this campus is truly a community now. Each campus is different; however, this one has improved by far. I appreciated their encouragement to visit for the past year and could feel the love they had for one another, not just curriculum and 'how to' school better. I realize too that CC is always updating their materials to offer the best possible classical curriculum that it can. I'm also open to review other campuses if needed, Anonymous.

    ReplyDelete