Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Maria

My friend wrote this post two years ago.  I am just now getting on the blog.  I think it is timely.  I wonder who needs to hear this today?

Maria was a straight "A" student.  Maria was an honor roll student.  Every report card she brought to me made me so proud and never disappointed me in the least.  Her Daddy and I would pay her $10 for every "A" she made.  We would love to spoil her for her hard work and her progress.  Maria is a smart, beautiful person.
When I was planning to homeschool Maria, I was scared!  I was nervous!  I was thinking about taking her away from socialization, good grades and more; however, Maria was excited to start se tenth grade at home.  I was making a decision that could ruin her future and her whole life.  
In my heart, I felt I should homeschool her and I did just that.  
When I brought Maria into the homeschool world, we took a little time off.  She was stressed out from getting into a fight and from the other kids picking on her.  She was overwhelmed by what she was being taught in health class (i.e. "grown-up stuff").  I thought I really knew my daughter until I began to homeschool her - until I spend a lot of time with her.
On our first day of homeschooling, I gave Maria random tasks to perform.  We started with easy tasks and worked our way up to more difficult tasks.  For example in math, I gave her double-digit multiplication then division.  I quickly came to realize that Maria could not write a complete sentence.  Her sentences never ended.  I realized we had a lot of work to do.
 Maria had no self-confidence.  She was always worried about other people and what they thought of her.  She never wanted anything - just to be liked.  She would never play like a normal child for her age.  She wanted to act like an adult.  Maria started hanging out with the wrong crowd at school also.  This was concerning to me.  That could have led her down the wrong road - to many wrong places.  I feel I pulled her out of school just in time.
Since I have been homeschooling, Maria has learned so much.  She has learned to sew, cook, save money, academics, and more.  You are probably wondering.  Yes, she can write a complete sentence.  
Maria has many interests now that she did not have before home education.  She has actually found her passion - animals.  She wants to be a veterinarian.  She never knew she enjoyed sewing, cooking, or animals before homeschooling.  
I will never regret the decision to home educate Maria.  It made her realize who she truly is.  It has given us a relationship that will last a lifetime.  

Update on Maria:  SHE IS THRIVING.  As a senior in high school, Maria has been hired by a veterinarian's office starting next month.   This summer, she saved up her own money to travel, with her family, to see Dr. Pol in Michigan.  He is a famous vet there; he inspires her.  Her family made many stops along the almost nine-hour drive.  How did she save this money?  She made bread to sell.  She has babysat for me taking care of three small children, cleaning my house and doing my dishes. 

What could homeschooling do for your daughter?

No comments:

Post a Comment